Sunday, April 12, 2009

Discard Limiting Language


Some words such as “must”, “should”, and “ought” seem a little less than positive. So do cuss words, but that’s a different story.

If you were told by your parents, teachers, or coaches that you should do something, you must do something, or that you ought to do something, chances are that you regarded such exhortations as commands or burdens. As an adult, you unconsciously may still regard such terms with disdain, even when you use them in your own thinking!

I shall elaborate. If you think to yourself, “I must finish the ABC report by Thursday, “you unconsciously may be regarding the completion of the ABC report as overly burdensome, sort of life making your bed or being nice to your sister.

Each time you think to yourself, “I should, I must, I ought to do something,” the energy that you naturally have for such tasks is not nearly as high as it would be if you changed your internal language. Instead of thinking, “I must finish the ABC report by Thursday,” replace that language with “I choose to finish the ABC report by Thursday,” “I want to finish the ABC report by Thursday,” or “I will finish the ABC report by Thursday.” Instantly, your entire being realigns and re-energizes itself to aid you in your proactive choices.

Suppose you receive a call, and a customer or client requests a certain bit of information. Instead of saying, “I’ll have to dig up that file for you,” instead say, “I will be happy to locate that file for you.” This conveys a more upbeat message to the caller. Even more important, it makes the task seem far less onerous for you.

Your use of language within the confines of your own thinking or conversation with others magically and rapidly transforms your ability to begin tasks of all sizes. Hereafter, if you find yourself reluctant to handle a task, employ language such as “I choose,” “I want,” “I will,” and “I will be happy to,” and notice the dramatic improvement in your energy and attitude! 

No comments:

Post a Comment